Gambling is extremely perverse in this era of the world. People gamble under the influence of various motivations. This article covers 7 Common reasons why people gamble and 11 reasons why as a Christian you shouldn’t gamble.
A gambler, whether an amateur or a veteran well knows that in the cocoon of gambling it is believed that number 7 is one of the magic winning “lucky” numbers. However, if you ask them, they might not give you the reason.
Just like death, gambling does not choose. It snares and enslaves anybody at its disposal. It is not a surprise that this deadly venom has spread its wings of influence within the church.
Some people think about their gambling pastors and famous persons in church as the standard of Christianity. It is all deceit. Read on and decide for yourself.
Why do people Gamble?
Most people in the world have fallen into the delusion of get rich quick schemes. They have an unquenchable thirsty for riches and are in the pursuit to win money and prizes.
- Avoid risk taking
If people fear taking risks, they resolve to gamble as a quick way to attain their desires.
- Escaping daily routine
A great deal of gamblers seek to avoid daily routines like duties in the home or worse, at their work stations and end up turning to gambling as an excuse.
- Social acceptance
Some people want to fit in to the norm of their friends. They bow to compromise to gain acceptance before their peers.
Quitting gambling is like quitting alcoholism and can be a long time battle. Its addictive power is so strong that many that desire deliverance succumb to its woes.
The people who engage in gambling may hold to entertainment as a scape goat. Some blatantly deny the influence gambling on their lives and argue in favor of entertainment.
- Gambling is glamorous
The thought that gambling is prestigious and stylish endeavor ensnares its subjects. For instance, gamblers in golf sport think about gambling as a trendy and classy engagement.
11 reasons why as a Christian you shouldn’t gamble
I will keep this section brief with the support of the Bible as the inspired word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Gambling is addictive and enslaves (2 Peter 2:19). However, if you remain true to God then the Lord promises to deliver you from such temptations.
- Gambling relates to ungodly deeds (Galatians 5:19-21). Whenever you find gambling, there you will find ungodly behaviors.
- Gambling is get rich quick spirit (Proverbs 28:20). God warns us against making such haste to gain riches.
- Gambling gives money to the ungodly (2 Corinthians 6:14). What communion hath light with darkness?
- Gambling involves taking from others who are needy (Proverbs 22:22, Mathew 6:3). Do not rob the poor because he is poor.
- Gambling makes others stumble in their faith (Romans 14:13-18). Do not let whatever you do be a hindrance unto the faith of others.
- Gambling is one of the poorest testimonies (1 Corinthians 6:12, 1 Timothy 3:3). Not everything is beneficial. It is required of God’s children to demonstrate ideal and acceptable guidance to their fellow believers.
- Gambling is poor stewardship of monetary resources (Luke 19:11-27). Remember the parable of the talents?
- Gambling is seeking pleasure instead of seeking God (Psalms 37:4). Delight thyself in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
- Gambling never glorifies God (1 Corinthians 10:31).
- Gambling makes people hope in riches rather than in God (1 Timothy 6:17).
Any kind of gambling is in opposition to the Christian faith.
Are you still wondering whether you should gamble or not? Prayerfully read through 1 – 11 above.
“So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” Romans 14:12
When it shall come to pass, do not say you didn’t know.