Six qualities a Christian woman should have
- Live as a priest for God: This is the first and most important quality in this list. The first duty a Christian woman should have is a closer connection with her maker – God. Exhibit a behavior seeking holiness, in word and in deed. Accept the presence of Jesus in your life by beginning your life with God. Make a significant change from the world and be an example to others.
- Guard your tongue: The tongue is a small organ but it can spark war. Do not be a false accuser of other people. Remember, the power of your tongue can defile the whole body. Before you talk, think first. When you speak, speak wisdom. Let every word you speak build up. The tongue can curse or bless. Let it bless.
- Practice temperance: Why should you do something in excess? It is not all about food, you might be watching TV so much, cooking anyhow, or even letting fashions absorb you. Lack of control leads to spiritual immaturity. Do everything in moderation. Be wise and avoid greedy. Without temperance, you will concentrate on useless issues and miss out time to read the Bible, and even time to educate your children. Let not your appetite not control you, but your mind to control your appetite.
- Teach good things: Examine your life for a moment. Do you teach the right things? Do you live what you teach? You have a responsibility to enlighten others on the right path to follow. Take heed unto thyself and unto the doctrine. Many people look unto you. Teaching is not just about sitting somebody or addressing a large congregation. The simple things you do to yourself, family, friends, relatives, enemies and the society matter.
- Love: Jesus said; love your neighbor as you love yourself. It is unfortunate that some women do not feel good enough about themselves. Perhaps they think they are not beautiful or beautiful enough. Some think they do not have a good voice among many other feelings. Remember you are God’s CREATION, in HIS image. There are numberless reasons for you to feel good about yourself, to love and appreciate yourself. We will cover that in a future post. You have a responsibility to love yourself and everybody else starting with your husband and children. How do you handle your husband? Some men are tempted to be adulterous because some woman somewhere treats them as king whereas you treat him as a slave (this is not a license to men to mess around). Women, watch out and love your man.
- Work: A virtuous woman should make effort to support the family financially. This does not mean that men should sit back and watch. Join hands and work towards the well-being of your family. As a man, I really appreciate a woman who works hard and smart. It gives me power and challenge to do it better.
- Be clean: This post reads six, but I cannot leave this out. You may have heard that cleanliness is second to Godliness. Do you like dirty? I love it having my place neat. I believe a man in his right mind loves it too. Therefore, woman, make an effort. Clean everything from the entrance to the dark corner of your bed in the master bedroom.
Further reading: Titus 2:2-5, Gal 2:20, Rom 12:1, 1 Tim 3:11, James 3:2-6, 1 Peter 4:11, 1 Tim 4:16, Eph 5:22, Col 2:18